Top 10 – What Not To Do (Telemarketing)
We all assume that everyone knows how to make a telephone call in the business world don’t we? Well, after a few surprises that let me know this was not the case, I thought I would put some down, so here are 10 of my ‘what not to do when making telemarketing calls’ points!
- Eat whilst speaking, that includes chewing gum.
- Continue conversation with colleague (or yourself) when your call has been answered.
- Being down! It really does come across in your voice so smile.
- Tut or sigh – You would be surprised how many don’t realise they are even doing it!
- Smoke a cigarette/cigar/pipe or anything else for that matter.
- Interrupt – if you have asked a question then let them answer it!
- Sound like you are reading a ‘script’ even if you are – natural communication is key!
- Ignore rapport signals – if they mention it’s their birthday, engage them!
- ‘Mate’, ‘Dear’, ‘Sweetheart’ & ‘Love’ are not good ways to address your contact!
- Swear! You may not think ‘crap’ is a swear word but others will – don’t risk it!
I am sure we could make it 101 but these are just a few I have thought of and come across in the past month! Share some of yours with us as I would like to know what other people have had to address!